Thursday, May 16, 2013

Shirt to Skirt Refashion


Hello Everyone! I am finally done with the semester and it feels great! I have one semester of nursing school behind me and just three more to go - but first I will enjoy the summer. A few weeks ago, I went shopping at one of our local thrift shops. I found this shirt on sale for $2 and since I've always wanted to try refashioning something, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity!
 
 
As you can see, the shirt was huge on me. I decided to make it into a simple elastic waist skirt.
 
 
It was very simple to make - I just cut across the shirt at the armholes so I would have a straight edge to sew my elastic on. Before sewing the elastic, I used an overcast stitch to finish the edges. I used 3 inch wide elastic and left it exposed on the top of the skirt. So simple - it took less than 20 minutes!

 
The skirt ended up being way too short to wear as is because I never wear anything above my knees. That was an easy fix though. I just put on a longer, straighter skirt underneath. I think it works and it adds color to the tan skirt.

 
My favorite part of making this was that I didn't have to hem it! I think it will get a lot of wear this summer now that the weather is finally starting to warm up.
 
~Elizabeth
 
 
Linking up with some link parties found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment